Thursday, May 09, 2013

Wildfire Fighting update 2: Summer in Sechelt

Tuesday was another beautiful sunny day in Vancouver, so my good friend Deb (who is also conveniently unemployed at the moment) and I decided to go on a hike.  We followed my new favourite North Shore route up towards Whyte Lake and on to West Knob.  Of course we did a little Swiss Army style trail clearing along the way.
Who needs a chainsaw?

There on the sunny, mossy, piney bluff, looking North towards the Sunshine Coast, I got a phone call.  It was a chap from the Coastal Fire Centre, calling to offer me a job fighting wildfires for the summer from the base in Sechelt.  As it happens, this was my first choice of location.  I will be starting work on Monday.
Jumping in Whyte Lake

I'm rather excited about being based in Sechelt for the summer.  Not only is it quite close to Vancouver (about 50km of biking broken by a 40 minute ferry ride), but it's also a prime summer destination.  There are kayaking trips a-plenty in Sechelt Inlet, hiking in a number of nearby provincial parks, and some great cycling options too.  Furthermore, the helicopter flights that take me to some of my fires will pass over a gorgeous coastline with lots of fjords and inlets and mountains and other pretty things.  I may end up visiting some parts of the province that very few people have access to.

So far I know one person based in the same location.  Sechelt is the home base of one of my instructors from boot camp.  He was a good one: brimming with knowledge about trees and maps and fires.  I'm not sure whether I will be on his Initial Attack team or another one, as I believe there are 2 or 3 that share the same base.

More news to come Monday after I pick up my reds and blues..

This is not me at all, but it will be..



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)