Wednesday, September 07, 2005

looking for a home..

grr for lost connections and interrupted emailings! I already had a good solid 3 or 4 paragraphs and now they have vanished. sigh.

anyhow, as I was saying.. here I am.. my third day in Sydney. I haven't made any postings yet for two reasons. 1. I have an entry that I wrote in
the fiji airport sitting on my work laptop, but I haven't posted it because I dropped the laptop off at the office for safekeeping (rather than keeping it with me in a hostel), and so my blog entry will sti there until monday when I report for my first day of work. 2. I have been really busy with moving from hostel to hostel, looking for a place to live, and generally learning how to live in Sydney.

I never really thought about how much is involved in getting to know a new big city, but it's quite the task. You have to learn how the public
transit system works, where the good and not-so-good neighbourhoods are, where people put up postings for rooms to let, the local lingo (let=rent, city=downtown, etc), where to buy things, where to get things for free, not to mention just how to find your way around!

So far I have looked at 2 potential sources of accomodation - the first was a 2-bedroom flat at Coogee Beach shared by 3 girls (I would make 4), but they might be leaving in a couple of weeks so that's not ideal. The second was a 2 bedroom apartment shared with an indian guy, which was ok - good in a lot of ways. But neither really felt like home. And so the
search continues...

Yesterday I met up with an ex-WebCT employee named Amber and her husband Norbert. We went out for some excellent thai food (yes, I'm sorry Dusit, excellent thai food does exist outside of Lhy Thai), and then I met their cats. A terrific evening indeed.

Ooh, it is past 9am so the hostel front desk should be open finally. I have been getting up at 6am to the chirpings of exotic birds for the last couple of days, which is nice except that it means waiting around for things to open up. As I will be working at 7am, I figure it is a good habit to keep up, however.

Maybe I will find a home today...

kat.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)