Sunday, August 24, 2008

back home

It was very odd when I boarded the plane in Paris and suddenly most of the people around me spoke nothing but English.. at first I resisted the return to anglophone culture by asking for "jus de tomates" instead of tomato juice, but given that there were two Anglophones sitting beside me, this seemed to confuse the flight attendants, even though they spoke French perfectly well. As the 12 hours in the airplane progressed, I slipped back into the easy but rather boring realm of communication only in English. I still have moments where it seems peculiar that just about everyone I see now will speak to me in the same language and virtually no thought will be required on either side of the conversation.

The plane ride was largely unexceptional, except that I did get a few nice glimpses of glaciers on Greenland as we flew over. Also for some reason everyone broke into applause when we landed in Calgary (though there were never any frightening moments in the air). No one clapped when we landed the second time, in Vancouver. It was really nice to come back to the west and see familiar mountains stretching off into the distance.. and by the time the plane touched ground, the trees dominated the view even though we were right next to Vancouver.

After some gelato and a little catching up in Vancouver, I came back to Nanaimo last night. There I was greeted by my mom, Bruno, and Spatz, not to mention some delicious blackberry-peach crumble. mm mmm!

I have reprogrammed my mobile phone with a new Nanaimo number - if you are on my Facebook, it can currently be found there, otherwise send me an email and I will send it to you.

Adios until the next adventure!

kat

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)